Saturday, October 4, 2008

Can many people be wrong?

Like half of everyone in Uganda who has an e-mail address, I subscribe to Yahoo for this vital service. Like the other half of everyone in Uganda who has an e-mail address, I also subscribe to Gmail for this vital service.

But unlike any other Ugandan I know with or without an e-mail address, I have an e-mail account with an obscure website called Gawab.

Actually, it's not that obscure. As a matter of fact, last time I checked it had 5,488,804 users. How did I know that? because I own the website, stupid!

I'm kidding! I don't own it. I don't know who fucking owns it. [I also apologise for calling you stupid. I really think you are very clever.] As a matter of fact, I gathered the exact number of subscribers from the website's header, which is '5,488,804 users can't be wrong!'

Which brings me to the point I wanted to discuss all along. Just because an overwhelming number of people, say a whole 5,488,804 of discerning-age adults or even a more impressive 62,040,610, think that something is right, does that necessarily make it right?

I have no beef with Gawab. They are a great service and apart from sometimes sending very important messages to the spam bin, they are way better than both Yahoo and Gmail.

But I think a huge number of people can sometimes be wrong. Like the 62,040,610 American idiots who cast their ballot for Dubya on Tuesday, November 2 2004.

No comments: