Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What's in a name?

Well, this finally happened.

Fuck! I actually witnessed history! [OK, not on location. But the big screen at Steak Out was clear enough, and the proceedings were live. You can't take that away from me!]

But the most striking thing for me, apart from my big brother's speech, [He is my big brother. Something to do with Luo culture. You can't take that one from me either.] was the fact that two years ago, America hanged a guy called Hussein

And yesterday, my brother stood beneath the revered statue of Abraham Lincoln at the Capitol and infront of an estimated 1.5 million people, said the words:
I Barack Hussein Obama do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Change does happen, no?

Staying with names, would you attend a concert or show by an artiste called Elgin Baylor Lumpkin? I know I wouldn't. I would sue my own mother if she gave me such a name, for chrissakes!

But there is a multi-platinum selling artiste who goes by that name. Only you know him as Ginuwine.

1 comment:

Petite Femme said...

Lol with Ginuwine.

But yeah, as a luo, Obama is my brother!!!

And that Hussein bit is huge too.